DRYNESS AND DEHYDRATION AT SIMPLY RADIANT IN ESSENDON
Dryness VS Dehydration in the skin
Dehydration is excessive loss of water from the body. In the skin on the face, dehydration occurs when there is a deficiency of water in the surface layer of the skin, the stratum corneum. The signs of dehydration include skin tightness or tautness, and flaking. All skin types, even those with oily skin can suffer from dehydrated skin.
Dryness in the skin occurs when there is a low level of oil (as opposed to water). Having a drier skin can also accentuate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. If you suffer from dry or dehydrated skin, you may experience some irritation or redness, and sometimes a stinging sensation as dehydrated skin is more vulnerable to irritants.
What causes Dryness and Dehydration?
The skin’s lipid barrier plays an important role in maintaining the overall skin health. The lipid barrier of the stratum corneum helps to prevent dryness and dehydration, working to retain vital moisture within the skin. When the lipid barrier is disrupted the skin can experience excessive moisture loss that can result in dehydrated skin. Damage to the lipid barrier is often caused by environmental exposure, and the effects of photoageing.
Overexposure to the sun can cause water to evaporate from our skin, which also explains why sunburned areas tend to feel especially dehydrated. Air conditioning, heating, long showers, flying and certain medications can also increase your likelihood of developing dehydration and sensitivity.
By overdoing the cleansing, you can strip away your skin’s natural oil and dissolve the protective lipid. Avoid excessive scrubbing and bathing, and stick to cleansing once at morning and once at night with a soap-free product that is compatible with your skin type.
Your diet can play a huge role in the health of your skin. People who are on low, or no-fat eating regimes could likely be missing out on fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E,F,K) as well as vital essential fatty acids (EFA) that can be very beneficially for your skin. Alcohol and caffeine can have diuretic effects, the effects of which mean that extra fluid intake is needed to prevent dehydration.
Targeting Dryness and Dehydration with skincare at Simply Radiant in Essendon
The Ultraceuticals moisturiser range features a blend of moisturising ingredients designed to help maintain the lipid barrier and support lasting hydration. These ingredients include Ceramide-3, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid & Cholesterol, which help maintain the lipid barrier while Sodium PCA, Urea and Sodium Hyaluronate support the skin’s natural moisturising factor to help optimise hydration levels within the skin.
How to treat dryness and dehydration at Simply Radiant in Essendon
- Protect your skin from sun exposure every day with a UV Protective Moisturiser.
- Apply topical products that support the skin’s Lipid Barrier.
- Use moisturising ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid and Provitamin B5 which act as humectants, helping to maintain and attract moisture in the skin.
- Ensure you are consuming the recommended daily intake of water to stay hydrated.
- Eat a balanced diet rich in essential fats to support the function of your skin.
- Book a skin consultation to allow a qualified skin therapist to thoroughly examine your skin and decide on an action plan to treat your sensitive skin without causing further irritation.
Skin Treatments to target Dryness and Dehydration at Simply Radiant in Essendon
Ultra Replenishing – 40min – $129
Feeling little dull and need a good ‘pick me up’ facial? Our Lactic Acid Peel has a very powerful formula that when brought into contact with the skin and penetrated into the epidermis it starts to dissolve the bond that holds dead skin cells to the skin’s surface. This is very beneficial for a range of skin types and concerns, from dehydration to UV damage, fine lines and pigmentation. Finished with a relaxing lymphatic massage and finishing products. During the treatment itself, you may feel a slight tingling, but no pain. This type of peel has minimal physical peeling, but this doesn’t mean its not working if it doesn’t. This facial is suitable for most skin types, however targets more distressed, dehydrated skin.
Recommended enhancement – Dermaplaning | $49 – A gentle and safe method to deeply exfoliating the skin to promote a deeper product penetration for your chemical peel. A surgical blade is worked over the face removing the outer layers of dead skin cells as well as any fine baby (vellus) hairs.
Dermaplaning – 45min – $139
Is a gentle and safe method to deeply exfoliating the skin to promote deeper product penetration. A surgical blade is worked over the face removing the outer layers of dead skin cells as well as any fine baby (vellus) hairs. Your therapist will thoroughly cleanse your skin, prepping for exfoliation. A new sanitized medical-grade scalpel is used to scrape (not cut!) across the surface of the skin, removing all the dead skin cells and vellus hairs on the face, also known as peach fuzz for a deeper product penetration. You treatment is continued with our hydrojelly super greens mask that is rich in micronutrients to increase energy, restore pH balance, and help synthesize proteins to retain moisture within the skin. Finished with a lymphatic massage. Leaving the skin feeling smooth, soft, and glowing. This treatment has no down time and can be used as a stand-alone treatment or in conjunction with a chemical peel, skin needling or LED to optimize results.
3 in 1 Super Anti-ageing Facial – 1hr 15min – $240
Our 3 in 1 super anti ageing facial is the ultimate facials in achieving a younger, fresher and healthier looking glow to the skin, by incorporating three individual facial attachments that have clinically proven to work from the inside, outside of the skin encouraging the natural skin renew and replenishment process.
- Oxygen Therapy Technology – The application is combined with the innovative capsule tablet (Sodium Bicarbonate and Citric Acid) and a rejuvenating gel that dissolves together creating CO2 (Oxygen) bubbles that burst on to the skin, sending rich blood to the area. This increases capillary flow and skin metabolism, during this process the outer layer of the skin is also being exfoliated, removing all the dead skin cells from the area, leaving a revitalized glow and smoother surface.
- Radio-Frequency (RF) Skin Tightening – Our skin tightening process, gradually heats up the Dermal layer (Deeper Layer) of the skin to stimulate the generation of new collagen and elastin fibers, for a visible improvement in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and lax skin.
- Ultrasound Infusion of Active Skincare Ingredients – This attachment piece glides and vibrates over the treatment region delivering significantly deeper penetration of our active nutrients, compared to traditional fingertip applications.